The Bonn PRINTEGER statement, emphasises that responsibility for ethical research lies with everyone who is active in research, but especially with leaders in research performing organisations. It acknowledges that individual researchers’ virtues alone cannot ensure research integrity. Instead, good conditions for exercising integrity must also be created at the organisational and systemic level. The statement intends to make research integrity challenges recognisable from the work-floor perspective and assist research leaders in effectively addressing them. It provides concrete advice on organisational measures to strengthen integrity, thereby complementing existing codes and regulations that commonly address the individual researcher.
The statement provides guidance on the following key issues:
1. Providing information about research integrity
2. Providing education, training and mentoring
3. Strengthening a research integrity culture
4. Facilitating open dialogue
5. Wise incentive management
6. Implementing quality assurance procedures
7. Improving the work environment and work satisfaction
8. Increasing transparency of misconduct cases
9. Opening up research
10. Implementing safe and effective whistle-blowing channels
11. Protecting the alleged perpetrators
12. Establishing a research integrity committee and appointing an ombudsperson
13. Making explicit the applicable standards for research integrity
The panel was initiated by the European PRINTEGER project (Promoting Integrity as an Integral Dimension of Excellence in Research) and tasked to set up a framework supporting organisations in strengthening research integrity. The panel, consisting of members from different European countries and organisations, with diversity in terms of gender, geography, functions, seniority and disciplinary background, built upon existing instruments, such as the European Code of Conduct for Research Integrity developed by the All European Academies (ALLEA).
For more information and the content of the statement please visit the PRINTEGER website: http://printeger.eu/the-bonn-printeger-statement/.
NRIN devotes a great deal of attention to the website’s content and would greatly appreciate your suggestions of documents or links you believe to belong on this website.
This selection is an incomplete convenience sample, and does not reflect NRIN’s vision or opinion. Including an item does not necessarily mean that we agree with the authors nor does it imply we think unmentioned items are of poorer quality.
Please report any suggestions, inaccuracies or nonfunctioning hyperlinks etc. that you discover. Thanks in advance!Contact